As a parent, one of the most exciting things is seeing your child develop and grow, both physically and mentally. I cannot tell you how excited I was to see that first smile, that first giggle, that first crawl, etc. I’ve been fortunate to experience those milestones with not just one, but two children so far.
Every child is different. My oldest is now 3 1/2 years old. He began walking at 9 months, talking full sentences at 15-18 months, and has an extensive vocabulary. According to his preschool, he is currently at the level of a 4 year old at the end of preschool. On the other hand, my 2 year old has been a little behind on some of his developments, speech in particular. His motor skills developed much more quickly than his big brother’s, showing just how different each child can develop.
Vtech has put together a panel of experts to develop toys for milestones ranging from newborn to nine years old. The Expert Panel is compiled of 6 experts including Dr. Lise Eliot who has published over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles and magazine pieces on children’s brain and mental development!
Each age range is broken down by three categories of learning:
- Language and Cognitive
- Social and Emotional Development
- Physical and Motor
Here are a few examples of toys Vtech has recommended for the developmental milestones:
Lil’ Critters Play & Dream Musical Piano
Ages 0-12 months
- Learn and play music with animal friends! The Lil’ Critters Play & Dream Musical Piano by VTech has a variety of fun musical activities that engage your child on the floor or attached to the crib.
- This soft piano features five animal piano keys that introduce music, instruments and animals.
- The piano also includes a light-up sun that shines and flashes to the music to attract your baby’s attention.
- Choose from two modes of play for fun learning and music activities.
Roll & Surprise Animal Train
Ages 6-36 months
- Your little one will enjoy peek-a-boo fun and develop fine motor skills through turn, slide and press activities.
- Animal friends introduce animal names, animal sounds and colors.
- This educational toy also rewards curiosity and teaches cause and effect with pop-up surprises and 55 songs, melodies, sounds, and phrases.
This is a favorite of my 2 year old since he is really fascinated by trains and animal sounds right now. The train is helping him with some of the areas we need to focus on to reach his next milestones.
Chomp & Count Dino
Ages 12-36 months
- Simply place one of the eight brightly-colored play pieces in the dino’s mouth and watch as he eats and recognizes each piece.
- Play in either food or counting mode and the dino responds with rewarding sounds and phrases all while introducing colors, numbers, shapes and more.
- Press the question button and kids can answer the dino’s questions to show what they’ve learned.
- Five shape buttons help kids learn shapes and numbers, while spinning the disc on the dino’s back will play sing-along songs.
- The dino can also be pushed or pulled by a string for even more fun melodies.
Although my 3 1/2 year old son is a bit old for this toy, he certainly favorited it over the others. It is interactive and engaging, and he loves singing along!
The VTech products and information have been provided by VTech, however all opinions presented are honest and that of our own.